Saturday, March 10, 2012

Every time I think I'm out...

I drag myself back in.

After 2 years on the SGA, 1 as House Treasurer and 1 as President of the Student Body, I was positive I'd had enough. I had graduated with a Bachelor's degree in English and had become a graduate student in Communications. In my experience, there had only been 2-3 graduate students that actually served on the student government. I figured it was time to move on.

What I didn't account for was how much I was going to miss working with and advocating for the students. I knew that it would be a hard transition from leader to student, but honestly, it wasn't. It was a great vacation...but that's all it was. After awhile, I began to get curious about what was going on. As a graduate student (with all night classes), you don't hear much. Thankfully, I still had (and have) good friends on SGA who kept me updated. Listening to them talk about SGA was like eating a small piece of dark chocolate. For those people who are lucky enough not to crave chocolate, it's like getting just enough to satisfy a fierce craving. (By the way, if you don't crave chocolate, I kind of hate you.) After awhile, the craving just wouldn't go away.

I still had the passion. I still had the knowledge. And, I had guilt.

No, no. I didn't do anything scandalous during my time on SGA. I had observer's guilt from not being active even though I had skills and resources that could be of help. All this lead up to me submitting an application to be appointed as a Representative at Large in the SGA House of Representatives. Friday, I went before the Appointments Committee then the Joint Session. [Joint Session is a meeting of the entire Legislative Council (House & Senate combined).]

Yep, I'm back.

I started this blog when I was President, but have tweaked it and will be using it to bring you the latest information on UCCS and the SGA.

Stick around. I always have a lot to say.

No comments:

Post a Comment